Still haven’t made New Year’s Eve plans? No worries. Whether you’re looking for a swanky night out on the town or a fabulous dining experience, there are a number of options in Boston to choose from that will help make this New Year’s Eve a memorable one suited to your tastes.
For the Classic NYE Boston Experience
First Night Boston, the country’s oldest and largest New Year’s arts celebration, is a cultural extravaganza celebrating the work of 1,000 artists in 200 exhibitions and performances in over 35 locations across the city. From theatre to ice sculptors, ballet to the Mardi Gras-style grand procession, First Night features a multitude of entertainment options throughout the day and into the evening for people of all ages. All outdoor events are free, but purchase a $10 First Night button for admission to the indoor events at most CVS stores in Massachusetts, at Bank of America locations in Boston, at BosTix booths or at several other locations in the city. For the full First Night 2013 schedule, click here.
If your ideal New Year’s Eve is a special dining experience, you can mark the end of 2013 at one of Boston’s superb restaurants. From Asana to Tryst, from casual to elegant, from the Back Bay to the South End, to the North End to Cambridge, the best local chefs are offering a range of dining choices that include regular menus, special additions, prix fix options, Chef’s tasting menus, and some with performances to add to the celebration. Visit BostonChefs.com for a list and more details.
For the Family
Along with a slew of family-friendly First Night activities, new to Boston this year is New Year’s Eve at Frozen Fenway. A first for Fenway Park, this memorable event, from 5:00 to 10:00 p.m., will feature sledding, skating and photo ops with the Word Series trophy. Tickets are $40.
For Those who Just Want to Dance
New Year’s Eve is one of the most anticipated nightlife events of the year. Here are just a few of the festive offerings in the city for those who prefer a party scene:
- Glow 2014 – If you’re a trendsetter and always looking for the next big thing, partake in the first ever New Year’s Eve party at District Hall in Boston’s brand new public innovation center in the Seaport. You can expect a DJ and dancing, New Year’s Eve swag and décor, delicious food (and a cash bar), and views of the Boston Harbor Fireworks. Tickets are $25 per person.
- Sixth Annual Timeless Gala – The theme of this stylish New Year’s Eve party is James Bond, and it promises to immerse you in Old Hollywood with a red carpet, a fashion presentation, signature cocktails, a professional photographer and live entertainment. Tickets for this high style soiree at the Colonnade Boston Hotel on Huntington Ave begin at $100 and can be purchased here.
- The Mandarin Oriental – Go all out at The Mandarin Oriental, beginning with a special multi-course tasting menu at Asana along with hand-selected wine pairings. After an unforgettable meal, take in live band performances, dancing, a signature champagne bar and more. The ambiance of the Mandarin makes this venue an exceptional choice.
For Those who Want to Ring in the New Year with a Bang
For some, New Year’s Eve is not complete without a fireworks display, especially when you are in a city with a gorgeous view of the water and the oldest park in the country. Boston offers two fireworks shows to enjoy. The Family Fireworks show launches from the Boston Common, at the corner of Boylston and Charles, at 7 p.m. It’s approximately ten minutes of pyrotechnics, at a time the youngest family members can still enjoy… or perfect for those who would prefer to be home and in their PJs early. Then as the clock strikes twelve, the Midnight Fireworks will erupt over Boston Harbor to usher in 2014.
For Swing Music Fans
Symphony Hall will be transformed for a special gala concert with the Boston Pops Swing Orchestra and legendary bandleader extraordinaire, Bo Winiker. Several dining options from the Pops kitchen will be available, too. Tickets range from $50 to $135, and you can get $20 off with your First Night button. The concert starts at 10 p.m. and the doors open at 8 p.m.
For Those who Desire Luxury Lodging
Whether you’ll be in Boston for a special New Year’s Eve event or even if you live here, you may want to check out these holiday lodging packages at some of the city’s hottest hotels:
- Boston Harbor Hotel’s New Year’s Eve on the Wharf – This package includes luxurious accommodations for two, a bottle of Moët champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries delivered to your room, a gourmet four-course dinner for two in Meritage, a New Year’s Day breakfast buffet for two at Meritage, use of the health club and 60 foot indoor pool, valet parking and late check-out until 4 p.m. on New Year’s Day. Contact the hotel at 800-752-7077 for reservations.
Fifteen Beacon’s NYE at XVB – A New Year’s Eve stay at this landmark, boutique hotel includes sleek accommodations, a bottle of champagne, rooftop viewing of Boston’s fireworks on the Common, brunch for two and a late 2 p.m. check-out. Rates begin at $515.
- Liberty Hotel’s “Rhapsody in Blue” New Year’s Eve Package – For $599, you’ll get luxurious overnight accommodations, two tickets to the Liberty Hotel’s private “Rhapsody in Blue” New Year’s Eve party (with live entertainment, dancing, specialty cocktails, and yummy bites), two welcome glasses of champagne at check-in, Molton Brown recovery eye cream and late check-out at 2 p.m. on New Year’s Day.
Where are you celebrating New Year’s Eve in Boston?